Our Place Society
Director of Philanthropy, Victoria
Our Place Society (“Our Place”), established in 2007 and located on Pandora Avenue, was founded on progressive and inclusive Christian values and principles through the amalgamation of Victoria’s two most active social organizations serving the region’s most vulnerable population.
Our Place has grown from a unique inner-city community centre to one of Greater Victoria’s largest social services agencies with a $20M+ budget, 300+ staff, and nine locations serving Greater Victoria’s most vulnerable citizens, including people struggling with homelessness, mental health challenges, substance use issues, the working poor, and the impoverished elderly. Individuals and businesses provide 40% of the financial support for its programs and services, and key government funders include the Provincial government, BC Housing, Island Health, and the City of Victoria.
Our Place provides over 1,000 meals every day plus snacks, 400 units of housing plus transitional shelter spaces, hot showers, education, job skills, health care, addiction recovery services, donated clothing, counselling and outreach services, and a 60-bin storage facility. Most importantly, it provides a sense of hope and belonging to neighbours in need.
For more information on Our Place, including access to their current and past strategic plans, please visit their website.
As a registered charity dedicated to serving Victoria’s most vulnerable citizens, Our Place relies heavily on philanthropic support to achieve its mission. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Philanthropy is a key member of the Our Place leadership team and is responsible for planning and implementing the organization’s comprehensive fundraising strategy while overseeing the development team.
The Director of Philanthropy is an empathetic, strategic, and data-driven leader accountable for the achievement of specific fundraising targets in accordance with the approved budget, as well as donor stewardship and recognition programs, while mentoring the team.
The new Director will have onboarding support from the incumbent and be stepping into an organization that enjoys a strong financial position, a sophisticated team of leaders, positive reputation with stakeholders and funders, and a recent track record of growth—since 2020, Our Place has nearly doubled its revenues primarily through the expansion of its housing programs.
Specific accountabilities in this position include:
- Together with the development team, analyze the prospect pool and set revenue targets that support the operational budget and restricted fund goals of the organization
- Oversee the development of workplans for fundraising opportunities for donors at all levels (direct mail and digital appeals, middle donors, major gifts, special events, corporate donors and legacy giving)
- Implement strategic revenue plans and monitor related activities and programs using key performance indicators
Donor Engagement and Stewardship
- Work with internal stakeholders (board members, senior leaders, Advisory Cabinet members, and other volunteers and staff) to identify, cultivate and steward donors
- Create and implement donor-centric stewardship and recognition programs
- Monitor and analyze donor statistics
- Attend various Chamber of Commerce and other events to engage with the broader donor community
- Oversee, train and mentor a team of seven direct reports, including: Manager of Corporate and Community Partnerships; Donor Relations Officer; Database Administrator; Data and Research Associate; and three Philanthropy Advisors with special expertise in grant writing, legacy giving, and middle and major gifts
- Supervise and approve draft funding proposals and reports, cases for support, gift agreements, and stewardship resources
- Collaborate with the CEO and other senior leaders on stakeholder outreach, strategic planning, forecasting, and monthly reporting
Essential qualities and Experience
The ideal candidate will be an experienced strategic fundraiser and results-driven leader with strong business acumen, mission-alignment, and the ability to guide a high-performing development team. Our Place welcomes all credibly experienced leaders to apply for this role, but will prioritize candidates who have:
- A minimum of five years of non-profit fundraising experience with demonstrated success in managing portfolios, budgets and campaigns of $100k+
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Experience working with volunteers and committees
- The ability to analyze donor data and prepare reports, plans and projections
- Demonstrated skills in managing and mentoring a high-performance fundraising team
- Proficient with various fundraising technologies; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred
- CRFE designation considered an asset and membership in AFP Vancouver Island is preferred
- A valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle is required
Compensation and Search Process
This position is a strategic leadership role and the Our Place will pay competitively commensurate with qualifications and comparable roles. In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, they Our Place offers access to the Municipal Pension Plan. This position is excluded from the BCGEU union.
The search process may include conventional longlist, shortlist, and committee interview stages. We will request for finalists to offer comprehensive references and a complete and thorough background check.
We expect to process our first review of applications by May 12, 2023.
Our Place Society is an equal opportunity employer. They value the diversity of the communities they serve, and are committed to engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our Place Society welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, differently-abled, and LGBTQ2S communities. We encourage candidates who require any accommodations to contact us directly with related questions, which can be addressed in confidence as appropriate.
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also welcome to email
Beth Young (email@example.com) or
Dave Namkung (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any related questions.