Our WorkPlace Job Readiness
‘Our WorkPlace’ formerly ‘Next Steps’.
Want a Job? But need some help in getting ready?
- Don’t feel that confident right now to look for work?
- Have been out of work for a while?
- Do you have a disability that doesn’t let you return to the job you previously?
- Are you living with some barriers to employment and you need help finding work?
- Need some bus tickets/courses first?
Our WorkPlace is a 5-week co-ed program to help you break through your barriers to get back into work. Go at your own pace and discover new possibilities.
Learn with Others:
- Be part of a small group of people who are also building their readiness to get a job and creating a community for you to rely on
- Meet different facilitators who listen and coach and connect you to resources
- Receive individual coaching in preparing to work, finding work and keeping work
- Resume creation and job search skills
- How to handle an interview
- Improve your communication skills
- Learn how to be assertive and set boundaries in the workplace
- Time Management tips
- Self-care routines
- Becoming a Team Player
When ready, program staff will help you register for other courses in different trades including:
- Food Safe
- Our Place Employment Program Certificate
- Occupational First Aid Level 1
- Serving It Right
- Traffic Control
Participants receive ongoing one-on-one support with our job coach throughout the program, continuing into employment.
The journey that you began with pre-employment training leads you towards volunteer opportunities or joining the labour market. When ready, we will work with you to find appropriate jobs according to your preference and readiness level.
Contact AshleyM@ourplacesociety.com to learn more and to find out when the next workshops will be offered.
Women in Progress Program
In September 2019, Next Steps to Employment piloted the first group of 14 people who identified as female for the “Women in Progress” workshops, featuring volunteer speakers and one-on-one coaching. Many had experienced trauma at the hands of men, so this was a safe space. Now 10 of these women are in stable employment.
Working over 8 weeks, the Women in Progress program supports women to recognize their skills, develop employability skills, prepare resumes, link to opportunities sourced from local employers, and coach them to keep their employment once secured.
Interested? Learn more about the Women in Progress workshops by listening to this video here.
Contact us to set up a chat to see if this is a fit for you and to find out when the next program will start. Email: AshleyM@ourplacesociety.com
For the Employer – Our WorkPlace Employment Program
Returning to the workforce after a long absence can be a struggle at best, but when you have also suffered from homelessness or addiction, the hurdles can seem unsurmountable.
At Our WorkPlace, we want to change that. And to do so, we need your help.
We are actively seeking industry partners who are interested in increasing the diversity of their workforce while supporting ̶̶ with our help ̶̶̶ people with barriers in putting their skills and abilities to work.
Success in the program is defined in several ways. For many of our participants, it is finding employment and for others it’s settling into a volunteer role.
The program is designed to be non-academic and have high levels of participation while using the five senses. Individuals will be actively seeking work, or in some cases may choose to continue their learning in more specific work programs.
For those seeking work, we have a job coach to support participants both in finding a job and keeping it. We work actively with employers and new employees for as long as required to ensure the fit is right and job performance meets the expectation of the work.
We welcome the opportunity to meet you to discuss the program and explore ways for you to participate in getting people back into work.